Bell Expressvu External Hard Drives

My previous post on upgrading my Bell Expressvu receiver with an external hard drive has become one of my most popular posts.  I’m continually answering questions about which external hard drive would be compatible with the Bell Expressvu receivers.

The specifications that are published by Bell about which hard drives are compatible with the Expressvu receivers are as follows:

    7200 RPM rotation speed
    Between 40 and 750GB of capacity
    Holds a single hard drive (enclosures holding 2 disks are not supported)
    Plugs into an AC power outlet
    USB 2.0 connection
    No sleep mode (cannot power down when idle)

However, through experience I have found that 1 TB drives do work.  There is an issue when some drives get close to full which causes some of the receivers to lock-up.  USB keys do not work on your receivers.  These have no power source and this is a requirement for external hard disk drives to work with the bell receiver.

The best drives I have found are the cheap Retail Plus drives that I’ve purchased at Wal-Mart.  These drives range in price from $50 – $80 for drives ranging from 500 GB to 750 GB.

I have also built drives that work fine.  Maybe in the near future I will post which external case and drive you can combine to create your own external hard disk drive for your Bell Expressvu receiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.
Canada Internet Service Review Discussion Group
InternetCanada@groups.io
Canada 🇨🇦 Internet Service Review
https://groups.io/g/InternetCanada
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.